Monday, July 2, 2012

TLR Fan Feature (16): Angelfire and Wings of the Wicked Reviews


For this fourth week, I have some super duper awesome posts brought to you by Gianna from Books to Infinity and Beyond to share with all of you Little Reapers!

About Gianna:

-Many of you know me as Gianna around the blogosphere, but that's actually not my real name.
Odd, right? I have a name much much similar to Gianna, but I figured to change it around just for fun. So yes, Gianna is an alias. And now, that you're wondering, my real name is actually Gianne (gee-yan).
-I seriously love books. Well, currently, the YA genre. I'm a lover of fantasy and all its sub-genres. (YA high fantasy? SIGN ME UP!) I also adore mythology of any kinds.
-I love cats so much that I blog about it. Well, I do blog about cats on Tumblr but that's not entirely what my Tumblr is about.
-Anime is my druuug. I'm addicted to anime, and I don't think I can stop it! If you like anime too, we'll be instantly good friends. (Not that we wouldn't be good friends if you didn't like anime.) If you WANT to get started in anime, ask me for some recommendations! I love giving anime recs to people.
-I'm a Twitter freak.
-I'm actually super shy in real life, but once I start talking, I don't stop!
-I'm a teenager. (LE GASP!)
-I LOVE making new friends, especially on Twitter and IRL (in real life).
-I'm currently aspiring to be an author. I'm in the middle of writing something for the YA genre.
-I really like playing Pokemon.
-I'm a Virgo, guys! :) (My birthday is in September.)
-I'm Asian. *-*

Um, well, I've run out of things to say. ._.
Find Gianna Online: Blog | Goodreads | Twitter


Gianna's Angelfire Review:

First there are nightmares.
Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.

Then come the memories.
When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

Now she must hunt.
Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.

My Thoughts:

Dear Courtney,

I think I have an author crush on you... I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU (in the way one loves an author).

Now, before you think I'm a stalker and call the cops, please read my reasons as to why I'm so in love with you:

You wrote about a badass heroine named Ellie.

In a lack of better words, she was awesome. I admire you for coming up with someone so strong yet vulnerable... someone so real. Who else has the power to tell a hot guy to eff off? (Okay maybe Ellie didn't say it like that but I don't even have the strength to tell a really, really hot guy to go away!)

Another reason why she's a cool cat? She's not annoying! Oh yes, yes, YES. Hallelujah. I can totally relate to her (not her hunting life though). If I ever met her in real life, I think we have a possibility to be best friends.

Another reason why she's awesome? She can KICK BUTT. Big time. I loved the way you described her inner conflicts when she fought monsters, that incredibly real lack of confidence that nagged at her throughout the book. It just made her all the more real.

You created a really hot guy... that's not a jerk.

I've seen so many love interests in the YA department of paranormal romance that are cocky and smexy. Don't get me wrong, I love them all (in fact, I'd steal them if I could) but it is so rare to find the one guy who's protective, adorable, sexysexysexy, strong, and not a total asshole! Will is perfect in a sense, but his actual character isn't. He's tortured, which I adore, and having inner wars within himself. To me (and Ellie), he's perfect.

Favorite quote from him [Read at your own risk!]:

"Please understand that no matter what I am or what has happened in the past, I am yours. I am devoted to you above all else, including my own life." - page 240 of Angelfire.

Good LORD, how can you not go on a swooning rampage from THAT?

Your writing is just stupendous, and so is the plot!

This story was so much fun to read. The descriptions are vivid and genuine, I felt like I was practically there! You threw some stuff at me that I did not expect, which I most certainly loved however. Unpredictability is best for keeping me and any reader surprised!

I especially loved the conversations throughout this whole book. The witty remarks and banters between Ellie and Will, the girl to girl conversations with Kate and Ellie, Landon and Chris' boy talk, everything was fantastic. In some books, I feel like the author is trying too hard to write like how teens talk but you, Courtney, write like a wizard with mad writing skills. Total love. ♥

Also, thanks for not leaving me hanging that much at the end of the book. The ending was total epitome of badass-ness in all its glory.

To sum up how I felt about your book...



Gianna's Wings of the Wicked Review:

Life as the Preliator is harder than Ellie ever imagined.
Balancing real life with the responsibility of being Heaven’s warrior is a challenge for Ellie. Her relationship with Will has become all business, though they both long for each other. And now that the secret of who she really is has come out, so have Hell’s strongest reapers. Grown bold and more vicious, the demonic threaten her in the light of day and stalk her in the night.

She’s been warned.
Cadan, a demonic reaper, comes to her with information about Bastian’s new plan to destroy Ellie’s soul and use an ancient relic to wake all the souls of the damned and unleash them upon humanity. As she fights to stay ahead of Bastian’s schemes , the revelations about those closest to her awaken a dark power within Ellie that threatens to destroy everything—including herself.

She’ll be betrayed.
Treachery comes even from those whom she loves, and Ellie is broken by the deaths of those who stood beside her in this Heavenly war. Still, she must find a way to save the world, herself, and her love for Will. If she fails, there will be hell to pay.

My Thoughts:

Guys, breaking news, Courtney is now officially one of my all-time favorite authors. She amazed me with Angelfire but with Wings of the Wicked, she blew me away! It was fantastic in every aspect: the heart-pounding fights, the sizzling romance (Oh good God was it hot), those jaw-dropping twists, and the brilliant cast of characters.

The plot was just so good, up to the point where it's just indescribable. There were some very dark, emotional scenes in this book that you do not see coming. I don't want to spoil anything but in one word, it was heartbreaking. I didn't realize that by the time I finished one of the chapters, tears were pouring out of my eyes. Worry not though, this book wasn't all doom and gloom. It had some light hearted moments which I really enjoyed.

In Wings, I must admit that the romance was probably one of my favorite parts. After reading Angelfire and seeing the sweet, innocent love between Will and Ellie, I was so shocked that the romance in Wings was anything but that! Not that it wasn't sweet and heartfelt, it was just a lot more steamier and appealed more to my...let's say "bad side" of me. ;)

Jokes aside, the relationship between Ellie and Will is just so adorable. It only strengthens and deepens in this novel, and it never ceases to make me squeal with giddiness when Will just does...anything! He's devoted to the girl he loves and is determined to make her happy whenever he can, he's the perfect guy! (Plus, he's oh so very sexy when he tries.)

Warning though, the ending may kill you. With a cliffhanger ending like this, I was ripping my hairs out! I'm still dying to know what's going to happen next, but I guess I'll have to wait till early 2013. :( That's right, you heard me. EARLY 2013. I think Courtney's trying to indirectly kill her fans here.

Heed my advice: If you haven't read Angelfire, you should because it's just that good (in fact, read my review). If you have read Angelfire and thought it was so-so, read Wings and you will be stunned. If you have read Angelfire and thought it was great, then why the heck have you not picked up a copy of Wings?! Buy a copy immediately!

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! I really do need to read these books!! They sound fantastically awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you oh so very much for your comment. :)